Monday, May 01, 2006

Lakewood - Fire

APP: An early morning fire displaced about 25 residents and destroyed two downtown businesses Sunday, but the nearby historic Strand Theater was undamaged, fire officials reported. At 2:04 a.m. Lakewood firefighters were called to the three-story building at 418 Clifton Ave. A kitchen supply store and a clothing store occupied the first floor, and apartment units were on the second and third floors, Lakewood Fire Chief John Stillwell said. "There was heavy smoke and flames through the third floor," he said. "The third floor gave way into the second." No one was injured in the fire, which was under investigation, authorities said. Seven families sought assistance from the Red Cross, Stillwell said....The apartments and two businesses at 418 Clifton Ave. are unsalvageable, officials said.
xmlns:dc="" xmlns:trackback=""> -->

<< Home